FAQ

What is the cancellation policy?
If you must cancel or reschedule an appointment, please give 24 hours notice or you will be charged an administrative fee.

If you give us sufficient notice for a cancellation we can rebook the appointment that was originally reserved for you. If you do not show up for an appointment or cancel at the last minute, not only do we still compensate the therapist for her/his time, there are other patients who would have gladly taken the appointment but cannot without sufficient notice.

Do I need a prescription for physical therapy?
Through “Direct Access” a prescription is not required to be seen by a physical therapist, however your insurance company may require one in order to receive benefits. If you have Medicare, a current prescription IS required to receive benefits.

What should I bring to my first appointment?
Please bring your physical therapy prescription from your doctor and your insurance card.

How long will my appointment last?
The initial evaluation is usually about one hour, follow up appointments can range from 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes.

What will I have to pay?
During your first visit, you will be informed of your insurance benefits and financial responsibilities.

Do you accept Medicare?
Yes. Medicare covers 80% of the fees for physical therapy. If you have a secondary insurance, it will cover the remaining 20% after you have met your Medicare Annual Deductible.